Monday, October 7, 2019

getting better at reading the signs

I'm 64 years old.  Last year I left Phoenix, moved back to Georgia to care for my 89 year old mother who has dementia and OCD.  My life movie is either "Travelling with Cats," or "The Twilight Zone/Ground Hog Day Mashup."

Every day I wake up and count my blessings.  Usually, I'm glad I woke up. Grateful to have this time to be with mother, heal old wounds, grow on.  Today I was awake at 4:30 a.m. when I heard a noise on the deck that joins with my bedroom wall.  No way to look outside.  For years mother has been adamant that someone is out there harassing there, The Neighbor.  Now, I know it's raccoons.  How do I know? 

My mother hates (my) cats. They are my 6-year-old rescue babies. She refuses to let them in the house, so I purchased a rabbit/chicken coop for them to sleep in at night.  There they are safe from  foxes and coyotes, who live in the woods our property borders.  Our property.  I'm beginning to take ownership, it's an awkward position, parenting our parents.  One morning when I went out to the back yard to release the cats, I was greeted with a mess.  Something (raccoons) had stood on the plastic kitty litter container, reached through the chicken wire and opened the plastic container where the food stays.  The container was almost empty and the water bucket beside the outside faucet was muddy.  They had stopped to take a bath.

Today I watched Silver Lining Playbook and stayed in bed late.  Feeding my recent fascination with the amazing depth of Bradley Cooper.  I was struck by how much his mannerisms reminded me of my own son, now 21 and living with his girl in Cincinnati.  I don't remember if we watched this movie together or not.  I remember watching it on his monitor in his room when he was about 14. 

As I take care of cleaning the kitty litter from the box in the coop this morning, thinking already, again, about writing the movie of my life, the plastic grocery bag I pull out to put the crap in has a hole in the bottom, great metaphor for my life.  Upon closer inspection, I'm trying to be more present in my life, I notice it is a heart-shaped hole.  I laugh , thinking about the line from the movie, about how you have to get good at reading the signs.

It seems like sometimes things line up.  Some call it synchronicity.  In the south, we say it only happens when you hold your mouth just right.  But, sometimes that  feels like trying to control life.  Maybe life is like water, it flows when you let it go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment